June 25, 2012
May 2012 marks the first month that Nielsen is publicly reported streaming measurement on thousands of YouTube partners. The top five YouTube Partner channels, led by Vevo, Warner Music Group and Machinima, combined for nearly 1.5 billion total streams. YouTube provides content creators with tools and programs to improve their skills, build their audiences, and monetize their videos.
To put this into context, YouTube continues to be the top online video destination in the U.S. with over 136 million unique viewers who streamed 16 billion videos during May 2012.
|Unique Viewers (000)||Total Streams (000)|
|Read as: During May 2012, 41.4 million unique U.S. viewers watched video content on Vevo
Source: Nielsen; Totals include content streaming only; it does not include claimed user-generated content
More insights about the top five YouTube Partners:
- More than half of each channel’s unique viewers were under the age of 35.
- About 1 in 6 Americans who watched online video during May 2012 streamed video on the WMGYouTube channel (almost 23 million unique viewers).
- Vevo led the top five partners in total streams (695 million), while Machinima averaged the most streams per viewer, 24 in May 2012.
- Machinima also captured the highest composition of male viewers (62.6%), while others hovered closer to a 50/50 female/male split.
- Fullscreen and Vevo skewed toward a slightly older demographic, as 15.3 and 15.7 percent of their viewers are 50 years or older, respectively.
- Maker drew 9.7 million unique viewers who averaged nearly ten streams per viewer.
*Reporting for Vevo on YouTube channel, a subset of the total VEVO brand reporting